How to Win NANOWRIMO in 5 Easy Steps
For all of you uncultured people too busy getting caught up in the Kardashian saga, NANOWRIMO, or national novel writing month, is a writing competition with yourself. Think you have the drive to stop playing Angry Birds long enough to complete a 50,000 word novel in the month of November? Then you, my friend, might very well win the whole thing. The prize? Well, having written a 50,000 word novel, of course. Enticing, right? Here are some tips to help you bring home the W.
1. Make arrangements. Buy some blank tapes, set your DVR or have a friend take notes. You’ll be able to focus on your writing knowing you can catch up on all the TV you missed in December.
2. Disconnect. No facebook, twitter, or any social media of any kind. You’ve truly succeed if you friends call concerned you may have died.
3. Keep well-fed and hydrated. This is mostly for the benefit of those around you. A tired, emotionally drained writer is one thing, but a hungry tired, emotionally drained writer is just plain dangerous.
4. Avoid moving billboards. You’re going to be seeing lots of words floating before your eyes when you’re writing–you don’t need to make it any worse.
5. 5-hour Energy. Yes, it probably contains some deadly drug that the FDA will ban in a few years, but you’re going to need enough to last you at least 720 hours.